The Strengthening Laboratory Networks and National Biosafety & Biosecurity Systems Seminar is a 1-day event hosted by the U.S. Defense Threat Reduction Agency Cooperative Biological Engagement Program (CBEP), in partnership with the Biological Risk Association Philippines (BRAP). The Laboratory Networks and National Biosafety & Biosecurity Systems seminar is conducted in conjunction with a CRDF-implemented Personnel Reliability Workshop sponsored by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation Office of Cooperative Threat Reduction (ISN/CTR) Biological Engagement Program. The seminar will consist of facilitated interactive group discussions, presentations, Case Study and a panel discussion featuring U.S. and Philippine public experts. The seminar will lead to the establishment of a Biosafety and Biosecurity Technical Working Group convened by BRAP that will meet periodically to exchange information, share experiences, and make recommendations for improving biosecurity.
- Discuss key components/competencies for building a functional tiered laboratory network.
- Jointly review the status of the current laboratory network for gaps in key areas, including biosafety and biosecurity systems.
- Discuss performance of the laboratory network in support of disease surveillance and response, particularly for:
- Communication and data flow between facilities within the network and across networks (human and animal health sectors)
- Specimen management and referral systems
- Create a Biosafety and Biosecurity Technical Working Group that will convene periodically to exchange information, share experiences, and make recommendations for strengthening national biosafety and biosecurity systems.
The Strengthening Laboratory Networks and National Biosafety & Biosecurity Systems Seminar represents the inaugural event for the Cooperative Biological Engagement Program and Biological Risk Association Philippines to collaborate in promoting improved biosecurity, disease detection, surveillance and reporting in line with International Health Regulation (IHR) requirements.
This seminar will serve as an opportunity to discuss strengthening biosafety and biosecurity guidelines in the Philippines, and will bring together key stakeholders from the human and animal health laboratory networks.
The best practices and recommendations from this event will be leveraged by the BRAP Technical Working Group. Comprised of human and animal health stakeholders, the Technical Working Group will convene regularly to facilitate recommendations for improved communication and implement best practices regarding specimen management, ultimately improving disease surveillance and biological risk management within the Philippines.
- Bureau of Animal Industry
- Biological Risk Association Philippines
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Department of Health
- Health Facility Development Bureau
- Disease Prevention & Control Bureau
- Epidemiology Bureau
- Philippine Association of Medical Technologists
- Research Institute for Tropical Medicine
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control
- Health Security Partners
Thanks for the info. We’re here now attending the seminar.